Since he’s already torturing us with illness, that bearded bastard.
I woke up Sunday feeling really nauseated. I thought I had eaten bad food the night before and it was just one of those things that would pass quickly. I gulped some anti-nausea meds we had in the house and waited for the feeling of imminent upchucking to pass.
When it did, I got dressed, left the kids home with Scot, and went to the grocery store to do the shopping. I had it all planned out and I couldn’t deviate from the schedule – too much to do.
What a mistake.
By the time I was done, I was aching all over and ready to collapse. I came home, unloaded the food, put away the cold things, and flopped over in bed. Scot had to care for the kids the rest of the day. Sunday was the *only* day I had to give up to being sick. Every other day before Christmas I needed to be functional so that I could finish prepping.
I spent the vast majority of Sunday in bed sleeping and reading. I ate very little and choked down what liquids I could stand. The body aches SUCKED.
Monday I was more functional. Not 100% but I could watch the kids, Scot could head to work, and I could get some things done around the house in short bursts with lots of rest in between. Tuesday was even closer to normal – just some random spaciness and dizziness to deal with. Today, I’m fine.
Jamie, on the other hand, woke up with 102.2 fever. Thanks a lot, Santa. You could have kept that gift in that giant sack of yours.
In the hour and half between when he woke up and when I could call the doc, he dropped to 100.2. Now I was confused. I was going to take him to the doc to rule out an ear infection because he’s been known to get them without any symptoms at all so I tend to worry that he has them and I don’t know. But at 100.2, it could be anything.
I called the nurses line at my pediatrician: “We don’t need to see him unless the fever persists for 72 hours.” Thanks for reciting to me what I already know. But, it just so happens that 72 hours from now is CHRISTMAS DAY. Grr. We’re left with watching him closely and hoping he’s fine.
By waking up with a fever this morning, Jamie has also managed to screw me out of his two days at daycare this week. He couldn’t go today and he has to be fever free for 24 hours before he can go back, so he’s not going tomorrow either. I was really counting on those days to finish prepping for Christmas. Now I have to do it with both kids underfoot which is infinitely more difficult. Doable? Oh sure. Pain in my ass? Assuredly.
So Santa? This is not the Jolly Old Gentlemen I was expecting. If this is your idea of a Merry Christmas, you’ve got another thing coming. I’d call it Ho-ho-rrendous and you need to get those elves in line.